Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This lesson is part of the Harmony category.|
- Students will become familiar with the characteristics and techniques of atonality.
- Hutchinson, Music Theory for the 21st-Century Classroom:
- Shaffer, Wharton (eds.), Open Music Theory:
- Magnuson, Sound Patterns: Serialism
- Music Theory for Musicians and Normal People: "Atonality and Serialism"
- Kelley, Introduction to Post-Tonal Music Analysis:
- Discussion and definition of atonal composition, including Schoenberg’s twelve-tone row process
- Analysis of a twelve-tone row piece
- Composition of a short atonal piece
- Twelve-tone row analysis of a written score