Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This lesson is part of the Style & Compositional Techniques category.|
- Students will be familiar with the concept of genre from academic and marketing perspectives.
- Students will explore the definitions and membership of different genres.
- Johnson, “#genre."
- Johnston, "How Spotify Discovers the Genres of Tomorrow"
- Johnston, "Trap Queen and the Data Scientist: How a Subgenre is Born"
- Discussion of the concept of genre from the point of view of record industry, recording artist, and listener
- Analysis of a one or more specific genres, including genre definitions and inter-genre variety
- Report or questionnaire on a selected genre
- Comparison between selected genres (this article has some good possibilities)
- Explorations of some of the links at the bottom of everynoise.com: compare & explain geographic trends, etc.
- Exploring a genre using everynoise.com (version 1) (Word | Pages | PDF)
- Exploring a genre using everynoise.com (version 2) (Word | Pages | PDF)