Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This lesson is part of the Harmony category.|
|This lesson is part of the Rhythm, Meter & Form category.|
- Students will become familiar with the concepts of multiple tonal centers, polychords and polytonality.
- Students will become familiar with the rhythmic characteristics of polymetricism.
- Hutchinson, Music Theory for the 21st-Century Classroom
- Magnuson, Sound Patterns:
- Discussion and definition of polychords, polytonality, obscure key centers,polymeter and polyrhythms
- Tonal analysis of music from different genres and time periods.
- Analysis of music which features polymeter or polyrhythms
- Composition and improvisation in a polytonal style
- Composition and improvisation in a polymetric structure
- Identification and analysis of polychordal and polytonal techniques in written and recorded music
- Identification and analysis of polymetric and polyrhythmic techniques in written and recorded music